Followers

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Does Bible Study Benefit You?

For the past few years I've coordinated the Sunday Bible Study class at my church. The attendance ranges from around 7 to 20, depending on the topic and the number on the teaching team. For a congregation our size, this represents average participation. There are others who regularly read the Bible who don't attend and there are many who don't read the Bible at all. How do we persuade the latter that study of Scripture is vital for their spiritual formation? 

I'd like to hear from readers on this topic:  "How I benefit from study of Scripture."
  • Perhaps God has spoken to you about a matter in your life?
  • Perhaps Scripture has brought clarity in a time of confusion?
  • Perhaps you have received direct guidance?
  • Reproof?
  • Encouragement?
  • Comfort?
  • Deeper understanding of the Holy Trinity?
  • Correction of ideas contrary to Scriptural teaching?
  • Better understanding of the catholicity of Holy Tradition as presented in Scripture?

5 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

For me, the study of Scripture has brought the astonishing recognition that God has been working from the beginning of time to prepare for the Son of God's Incarnation, Passion, Death and Resurrection. Scripture reveals that this is so and it is mind boggling!

RC Cola said...

Studying the Psalms never fails to bring something home to me. It doesn't matter what I'm looking for, how I feel, what's on my mind, or anything that is self-centered, I never get what I'm expecting. Instead, I am shown what I need to see and it always knocks me off my feet.

Alice C. Linsley said...

The Psalms are ever fresh and surprising. Psalm 145:13 is one of my favorite verses of scripture "Your dominion is an everlasting dominion, your kingdom lasts forever." It is the eschatological slogan of the Bible. It closes Obadiah and is found in 5 places in Daniel, contrasting the Messianic Kingdom with the rise and fall of earthly kingdoms.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a traditional, systematic kind of Bible Study going. I read the Scriptures almost every day and try to allow God to speak to me through them. Unfortunately, most of the time I am living in my ego so don't quite myself enough to hear. Every once in a while, strictly by God's grace, my ego will be quite long enough to hear what God is saying. At those times, it is always something totally unexpected and totally amazing. Those are sacred and awesome moments - I wish I could hold on to those times, but I guess in God's wisdom, I don't.

Nilus

Alice C. Linsley said...

In addition to reading the Scriptures "almost every day" you attend Divine Liturgy which is woven of Scripture. Both are needed for the Truth and Virtue of Christ to reside in us.