Followers

Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Son and His Father

Mount Kilimanjaro: elevation 19,321 feet above sea level.

“The mountain is so high that when you are at the top and the sun is setting, the shadow cast by the mountain reaches the horizon.”

“When you are near the top of the mountain, you can see the curvature of the earth.”


My son, Joshua, and his father, Matthew, reached the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro last night in 25 mile an hour winds. It was rough, but they made it! My daughter tells the story here: http://sudokugirl.blogspot.com/2008/02/baldwins-at-top-of-world.html

I ask your prayers for the descent.

Jandy

3 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Joshua and his father arrived at their hotel in Tanzania at about 6P.M. their time on February 22. I hope to be able to show readers some photos of their trek up the Moauntain sacred to so many African tribes.

TLF+ said...

How's the snowcap doing? Somewhere in all the global warming articles I seem to have read that Kilimanjaro's snow cap is receeding.

Congrats on their ascent, and on what tends to be the most dangerous part of summiting the big mountains...coming back down!

Alice C. Linsley said...

Joshua and Matthew arrived back in the USA on Sunday, Feb. 24. Today Joshua is making the long drive from New Jersey to his home in western Kentucky.

I will ask about the snowcap receeding. I'm sure that is the case.