Followers

Friday, August 10, 2012

Missouri's Amendment 2


Missouri's Amendment 2 states: "No student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs."

This will apply to Muslims, Buddhists, Christians, Jews and atheists.

Does it violate the separation of Church and State?

Does it uphold the right of religious liberty for the individual?

Will this clarify in any way the unsubstantiated parts of Darwin's theory of evolution?

Will this clarify the false assumptions of Young Earth Creationists?

What do you think?


Related reading:  Biblical Anthropologists Discuss Darwin; The Evolution of Darwinian Evolution; Getting the Facts About Human Origins; The Battle Over Genesis; Between Biblical Literalism and Biblical Illiteracy

6 comments:

Michael Kruse said...

I can tell you I voted against it. I think current constitutional provisions are enough. I don't know what this was supposed to "fix."

Alice C. Linsley said...

Michael, was this action a statement intended to appease any one group in Missouri? Was this a symbol push-back against perceived Federal intrusion on State's rights?

Anonymous said...

If this law had been in effect several years ago in California, there are several specific instances where I would have asked my children to be excused from class assignments, such as the assignment to make an outline of their hand, and write the Five Pillars of Islam in the finger sillouettes. Our chosen faith is not taught in the public schools; I see no reason that my children should be required to do something that under Sharia (Islamic jurisprudence)initiates them into Islam.

Alice C. Linsley said...

I am a native Californian, so please don't take offense when I say that state is a mess. I doubt anything like the Missouri law would pass there, but as a tax-paying parent you have rights!

Ron said...

From a HuffPost article dated Aug. 8:

McGhee and supporters think the prayer amendment is necessary in order to match Missouri's state constitution to the U.S. Constitution, Fox News reports. They also say they hope it will protect Christianity in the state, which they believe is under attack.

McGhee recounted an incident to Fox News in which a teacher told a kindergarten student singing “Jesus Loves Me” to change the verse to “mommy loves me.”

Alice C. Linsley said...

"Mommy loves me. This I know for the Bible tells me so."

Nope! :)